Saturday, June 12, 2010

My Annual "No Excuses" Memorial Day 5k

3 years ago I signed up for my 1st 5k & it was this one. 
"Buzz Oates-No Excuses 5k" held on Memorial Day at William Land Park.
It is so fun &
I have made quite the improvement on my time in the last 3 years!!
My friend Sarah C. & I said we would do it together but after my family dropped me off I could not find her anywhere.  I looked & looked but she was nowhere to be found.  DANG IT.  Brad & the boys were nowhere to be found either.  I found out later he took them to have breakfast.  So I had to carry my extra shirt & my camera in my hands while jogging/walking.  Crap!!  Well, I started in the back of the pack with the walkers & the stroller pushers thinking it would give me just a little more time to look around to see if I could find my jogging companion or my family to hand my stuff off too.  No such luck!!  Oh well, I wasn't going to let that hold me back or slow me down.  I crossed the start line & off I went.  I'm happy to report that I stinking jogged the whole 1st mile without stopping!!!  Yay for me!!  I was so proud of myself!!!  After that I continued to walk & then jog for the last 2 miles.  It was great.  When I was almost at the 2nd mile water station I finally saw Sarah C. on the other side & I was so happy I'd finally found her.  I thought...maybe I can catch up to her but even if I can't if I can just keep her in my sight I know I can get on pace with her.  Well,  I wasn't able to catch up to her because I'm sure I would've died trying to run while she was doing her intervals but I did keep her in my sight & I crossed the finish line not too long after her.  My official chip time was 41:08!!!! 
I actually finished just a little bit faster than my friend because she crossed the starting line before me & your time doesn't start until you cross the line.  I keep thinking if I could've caught up to her I might've been in the 40:00 minute range. 
Next time...July 3rd...
I'm coming for you 40 minutes!!!! 
Here's me after.  Don't I look awesome??!! 
 I had to call Brad on my friends cell because I had no clue where he was & he said...wow...I thought I had more time to get back...which just goes to show that I am doing awesome!!!  After the race we met up with a bunch of friends to have a picnic & let the kids run around & play.  It was a PERFECT day!!  Not too hot & sunny but not to cold either :)
 
Here's me & Sarah C.
The squirrels were not afraid of us at all!!
Random pics walking back to the car.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Krystal said...

Way to go!!! I want to run a 5k SO bad!! Keep it up!!

Off topic...but I wonder if you know my sister and her hubby! They live in Citrus Heights too and also go to the LDS church down there!