Monday, November 23, 2009

It's Potty Time

So, I'm one of those mom's that decided to wait til my child was 3 before starting to potty train. That's how old Blake was & I decided that this was the BEST age for my boys. So here we go...

Comfy, cushy potty chair.......check!

Knock off brand of Pull ups.....check!!

(seriously...look at this picture.....

does anybody put the onesie under or inside the pull-up??

time to switch to regular shirts guys. What the heck?)

Big boy underpants......check!!!

Prize to be claimed at the end of filling up
Sonny's potty Chart........
Check!!!!

So here's the deal. I made Sonny this awesome potty chart (if I do say so myself) & I proceeded to try to get Sonny to go potty in the chair. The 1st week was BAD!!! He really was fighting me every step of the way & I started thinking that maybe he just wasn't ready. I started looking things up online & that was bad because apparently most kids potty train between 18-24 months. WHATEVER!!!! I was starting to get a little P.O.'d. There's nothing wrong with waiting til 3 & all those people can just.....Whatever!!! Anyway every time Sonny would just sit on the chair I would give him a sticker. Gradually we moved up to going pee in the potty & he'd get a sticker. Then Brad brought home his reward to get after he filled up his chart. He would stand on the "real" toilet just pressing all the buttons. So then one day he said he wanted to stand & go & so I let him. Now he stands at the "real" potty every time to go pee. I also decided to use big boy underpants during the day because I wanted him to feel what it was like when he'd pee his pants. I have a washing maching at my disposal so who cares if I have to change & wash his pants throughout the day & yes, there were days when we'd have to change a lot of pants. I'd say he got the hang of it because I didn't put him in pull-ups because they are like diapers...you just pull them up. He wears a pull-up when we go to church & to any babysitter but he's doing so well...I think he could go without. Now to just get him to go "big potty" in the "real" potty. I really do not enjoy cleaning up poopy underpants in the "real" toilet!!! Oh well....one thing at a time.
BUT....
I am so proud of him & glad I decided to go at his pace & not some psycho book. He says, "I'm going," & then I say hurry, hurry, hurry & we run to the bathroom & he goes. Now he likes to race me to the bathroom & of course he always wins...unless I'm in there already & he loves flushing the toilet.
So....to any other mom's out there embarking on this same journey....I say...Good Luck & don't stess yourself out...they will get it...they just have to get used to it & to all those other mom's that train your kids at 18 months or before....who's really trained....your child....or you???
Good Luck!!!
He just got his truck yesterday!! He kinda lost interest in the stickers when there were only 4-5 squares left to go. So we went ahead & gave it to him since he goes on his own now. Just gotta make a new one for the "big" potty adventure.

2 comments:

Lori and Brian Faulconer said...

I've been working with Henry for the last few weeks and it is NOT WORKING!!!! I think we might shoot for 3 also. MaryEllen was barely 2 when she got potty trained! But I guess boys are different. Congrats Sonny!!!

summerseverydaymoments said...

Oh I so hear you my three year old Cooper I started and stopped! I really need to start again!! Maybe next week when robs on vacation! Yes girls are different from girls that is for sure my girls were easy the boys nightmare!!!