Monday, May 4, 2009

Baby Sign Language

So I find that I am not someone who used baby sign language so I've never really understood why the big fuss. Not really sure why but I didn't even try to teach it to my 2 kids. Now, don't get me wrong, I have seen so many moms & babies using it with great success but me, just not my thing. Well, the little girl I babysit just turned 1 back in April. She knows how to say "more" in sign language. At 1st it was cute but now it's really just annoying because I don't know what she wants "more" of. That's all she knows. I talked to her mom & asked if she's teaching her more & she says that she's trying but she just won't do it. Well today I was trying to show her "food". As much as I don't use it I do know a "few" words, a "few". Well she didn't get it, oh well. Brad tells me to stop messing with her & I said no, if she's going to do baby signs she needs to learn more. Right? I mean, that's how they're trying to get her to communicate. So later we were outside playing & after a while she came up to me & did both signs for "more" "food"!! I was so excited & praised her & took her in & gave her a snack. So now I will continue with those 2 signs & hopefully move on to "drink" & "thankyou" & "yes" & "no". Anyway I did ask her mom if she's been teaching her & she said finally this weekend she did the sign for "food". We were both so happy. Anyway, I will do some of the signs with her, but I really think it's equally important for her to hear the "word" & not just do the sign because I think that some kids don't use their words as much as they should when they can use baby sign. Just my opinion. I know she's only 1, but she needs to know the sound to the words just as much as the sign because at some point she won't need to use the signs anymore. I think Baby sign is a great way to communicate in the beginning & so awesome for kids that really need it. I'm sure that people will totally have separate opinions, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately.

1 comment:

Cat said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog and being a follower!! I thought I would stop by and read some of your stuff. I really like this post. you have a great point!

I tried to teach my oldest son some sign language. ZERO interest. So I gave up. #2 came along... LOVED Signing Time -- but it really helped him learn to talk. He says the word with the sign and at almost 2 speaks better then most kids his age. AND it turned out my oldest was Speech/Language impaired and NEEDED the sign language. He finally started doing it when he saw his little brother getting things by signing. Now, at school and church, his teachers are able to tell what he wants because he can sign. It has been a blessing on our part, since he CAN NOT talk -- his brain isn't as developed on that side. But holy cow you should see him do math!

I honestly think that we were inspired to teach it. But for other families it probably isn't as necessary. Know what I mean?